Teaching ABC School today was so fun! I love the days that go well and the kids enjoy it - it makes me wish I had more time and drive to do it all the time. My goal for each session is to have activities where the kids can do 100% of the work. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Today it worked!
We always start out with journals. This is where the kids get an opportunity to attempt to get their thoughts on paper. I like for them to think of their own things, but I usually end up giving them a topic. Wyatt always scribbles, but today I made him really think about it. He wanted to write about the big building so we thought about what shape the big building was and then he drew it. He wanted to add his family and this is what he came up with.
When they finish their journals they choose a book and sit on a shape. I have them look for either the letter of the day or letters in their name in the book.
After that we do a simple calendar time, singing time and we read a story.
Then we painted a watercolor sunset - Today was 'W' so we did things with water.
They played outside so great. Sarah was the loader for a while and all the boys lined up. . It was incredibly cute.
Then we came in for our science experiment, "Sink or Float". First we made predictions and then I gave them a page with pictures of items that they needed to go test. They would cut the picture out they were doing, go find the object on the table, test it in the water, and then go back and glue it under the correct column, sink or float.
They loved it, and the ones who finished quickly found other things to test. It was so fun watching these 4 and 5 year-olds so involved in their work.
This is my last week to teach - usually by this time I am so done with ABC school, but I am sad this group is done (Well some of them anyway - off to kindergarten).
10 comments:
how do you work your abc school? do you and a group of moms just plan it out among yourselves or do you have curriculum that you buy? i am interested in doing something like this with my friends...
i need a bigger house...
What a fun day of schoool! How creative too! Lots of fun educational activities and the kids had so much fun they didn't even know they were learning. They just thought they were playing. If only we had tons more of you in this district. XOXO, Lori
You are so amazing! I don't know if I could handle all those kids and be so organized and keep them all happy. Way to go!
I'm so not creative enough to think up all that stuff. If I ever decide to do ABC School, I think I'll just pay you to take my days.
way cute. i want you in my ABC school group (when i get to that point...)
ps. i see the marble game ... andy's family calls it joker-joker. we love it :).
Kelli - a group of us just get together and assign out letters, numbers and shapes throughout the year. Its pretty laid back, but I do it the fall that they are 3. So they are still pretty young. There is so much stuff on the internet, I don't think it is that hard to find things to do.
Thank you for blogging this! And at least it was a cute day for Sarah (meaning she looked cute, we don't always make it out the door so put together!) She's been talking about her science experiment all week - it was a success!
Kim, you are wonderful! Braden loved this week of school. He was so excited to come home and tell me about his Sink or Float experiment. Braden replicated it here at home and Leah had fun testing her ponies and dolls.
Kim, you are amazing! I sure wish we could be close and do ABC school with you :( I love your pictures of the kids...they really show how intensely involved they were! Love you and miss you!
Post a Comment