Sunday, June 6, 2010

10 and 32

About a week before May 25th (my birthday and our anniversary) Aaron texted me and asked if I wanted to go see Wicked. Is that really a choice, did he need to ask? Of course I said yes and so we spent my birthday and our anniversary in San Fransisco. It was my first time staying overnight without Dallin, so while I was a little nervous that everything would be okay, I was very excited to have 36 hours to ourselves.


We wanted to try Dungeness crab. So we went to this fancy shmancy restaurant and tried it out. It was pretty good, but I think we would have enjoyed our dinner just as much if we would have stuck with the clam chowder and bread bowl idea. We will definitely do that for next time.

After dinner we got on a cable car that would have taken us pretty close to our theater. Well we went a few blocks, maybe halfway there and they stopped the cable car and said that it was done. Obama was in town and they couldn't go any further. Grrrrrr. So we got off and frantically (okay, I was the only one feeling a little frantic on how we were going to figure out how to get to where we needed to go) started walking up streets only to find out that whole intersections were closed down. So we turned around and headed another direction. Luckily, we got on a bus with a nice driver who let us off in view of our theater. We made it!

And then there was Wicked. It was everything I had hoped it would be and better - I try to prepare myself that the singing won't be as good as on the CD, but they did not let me down. It was completely delightful and amazing the entire time. All the actors and actresses were so great. I did not want it to end.

The next morning we got up and went swimming and then drove to Sacramento and walked around old Sacramento. I thought it was interesting - atleast the 4 or 5 candy stores we explored to see who had the best candy. It was fun to see the tempering pots and how they made their taffy. We ended up getting stuff from two. One with the best chocolate and one with the best taffy. Yummy.

All in all it was a great trip. And while the entire drive home I could hardly wait to get to my kids and ready to be a better mom and enjoy them more, I was so grateful for those precious hours I got to spend with just Aaron. We had so much fun together. 10 years has been good to us and we look forward to more great years. Also, this year I embraced that I am in my 30's and had a great time turning 32. Being 30-something is kind of fun, kinda old, but kind of fun.

Oh, and this trip was made possible by Rob and Mary and Grandma and Grandpa Sorensen. . .Thank you so much for tackling 4 kids. We appreciate it sooooo much!

4 comments:

jamie k said...

mmm...candy stores are our favorite!

happy 10 and 32!

Claudia said...

Kim, so glad that you and Aaron did something wonderful for your anniversay and birthday. By the way, 32 is not OLD!!!
Happy Birthday and Happy Anniversary!!!!

Mary said...

Love it! We had a good time with the kids. You didn't mention the to die for strawberries you brought home.

I think Aaron texting you was kind of part of the fun surprise/gift.

C. Sorensen said...

So fun! (Ok, not the stranded in San Francisco part, but everything else!)