Thursday, June 10, 2010

Garner Reunion 2010 Day 1

Yesterday we went on a scavenger hunt. We had to find special places from our childhood to show our kiddos. It was so fun revisiting these places!


Best Friend's House


We so should have got bonus points. When we were driving by Rachel's old house we noticed all these cars, so I called and asked if she was there. Not only was she there, but one of Stacy's best friends, Michelle, was also there. So we put them in the picture with us. So fun to see them, but now I want more time to chat with her!

I also had to get a picture at Joelle's house. In 4th or 5th grade when my mom started working again, I would drive with her to take Devin and Stacy to the babysitters and then walk to Joelle's house to walk with her to school. We would run line races on this sidewalk - actually this sidewalk looked newer than what I remember, but same place - while we waited for Joelle. Also during these walks to school I learned that it is best to walk looking ahead of you rather then on the ground in front of you. The mailbox I ran into fared better than I did after our run in together.

Favorite Summertime Spot
This was hard to pinpoint cause we had lots of fun summer spots - The Boat Docks, Sun Valley, the canal, the church ballfield, but I ended up choosing this ballfield where many hours were spent playing baseball and watching brothers play baseball. They had this great slide that we loved playing on. Sadly it is now gone.



1st grade spot
Memorial Elementary. Teachers: 1st grade was Miss Somanko, 2nd grade was Mrs. Beebe and 3rd grade was Mrs. Fil. Fun times at that school!


A Significant Personal Landmark
This was where Aaron and I smooched for the first time. So many great things have happened since that moment! Definitely a significant landmark.


Favorite Restaurant
Burgers was the place. In high school it was the hang-out after all the games and Joelle worked there so she made me the most perfect oreo shakes ever.


Ist Job
I worked at Papa Kelsey's for 3 years in high school. I made lots of sandwiches and worked with some fun people, Jeanne included. Jodi, Jeanne, Me and Stacy all worked at Papa Kelsey's at some point.

A spot chosen by everyone in the car was Heyburn Elementary.
The girls love to go to my dad's school to play on the playground toys. They have great playground toys!

A place where you participated in an extra-curricular activity.
This is the football field at Minico High. Sooooo many great times cheering, tumbling, building stunts and freezing my tail off.

A place where you served
This is outside my grandma's old house. I spent lots of time at my Grandma Garner's literally serving. When my grandpa was a stake president the general authorities would eat lunch there on sunday and my grandma would have my cousin and I help serve and keep water glasses filled. The two I can remember are Elder Richard G. Scott and Elder Vaugn J. Featherstone. Elder Scott left a beautiful painting of a little girl with my grandma.

I also remember lots of times polishing silver and dusting for these events. All these things never felt like serving because my grandma rewarded me in so many ways. I am so grateful for the opportunities I had to spend time with her in her home.


This turned out to be a very fun activity to share with my kids. It also helped me remember how kind and loving my dear older brother Chris was and has been through my entire life. It was fun to share places from my childhood and reminesce with them.


Funny Story: So as the kids were telling what they learned to everyone, my kids got to the gazebo in the park picture said that this was where my mom had her first kiss. And me, opening my big fat mouth, said no, it wasn't my first kiss it was my first kiss with Aaron. The girls looked at me like I was crazy and of course the whole family had to make fun of me about confessing things. Sometimes I wish I would learn to keep my mouth closed!

9 comments:

Mary said...

What a cute idea! I loved growing up in a small town too.

I love the cheerleading pic-Dallin looks like he's posing for it.

jamie k said...

great idea! now i want to go back to fallon and show that kind of stuff to my kid(s) :).

those pictures are all great. i'm just hoping that kailyn doesn't drop dallin on the ground in the cheering one.

Emilie Cook said...

Hey I recognize those places :) and Papa Kelseys is my FAVORITE place to eat! We were in Rupert this past weekend too bad I didn't run into you.

Shantel said...

Yeah for Rupert. Such great memories. Gotta love Burgers Etc. Every time I have a milkshake I think of that place.

Brandon said...

Am I the only one who reads the last sentence as "Sometimes I wish I would learn to kiss with my mouth closed!"? Gross.

Anyway, 2 comments:

Picture 1 - Typical Idaho Wind.

Papa Kelsey's - The guy @ Papa Kelsey's in Logan knew me by name. I was a great customer.


p.s. Word Verification: turncest

Not exactly sure what that is, but Gross.

Garn said...

Kim, you really should learn to not leave your blog open in edit post mode when I am around. I am glad you realized what a good brother I am ;)

Dacia said...

You always amaze me! Fun to go down memory lane with you - thanks for sharing - next time I want to be there with you!

Kim said...

Chris, you crack me up. . .I just caught it and I am going to keep it because you are such a dear older brother. . .even though you make me cry.

C. Sorensen said...

I love that idea of a scavenger hunt! I'm going to have to suggest it to my fam. What a great way to go down memory lane!