This summer we have loved going to our farm in California. The reason we go is to move wheel lines every morning and evening. The kids love to swim and ride the four wheelers and explore. I wish I had taken time to write down life lessons we have stumbled upon on our visits.
Of course the easiest one is depending on each other. When we move lines, Aaron and I are in the middle of the field and the kids are at the bottom. I have to shut the water off and then they can open up the end of the wheel line to let the water drain out. When the water is drained, Aaron and I can move it. The kids then have to tighten the end back up before I can turn the water back on. We communicate with walkie talkies, which can sometimes be difficult. Everything gets done so much quicker if the kids are paying attention and doing their job right. I feel like I can give my kids jobs at home but whether or not they do them doesn't affect anyone but me, and I just get mad. Working on a farm if they don't do it everything suffers, the hay and all of us cause it takes us so dang long!
Another time Wyatt came running up to me and said, "Mom, I know why dad told me I have to keep the four wheeler in the middle of the road (in the field)! Cause if I go off a little I will trample the hay!" Oh if we could all live life making sure we stay right down the middle things would be easier. Little things like that come up all the time as I listen to Aaron teach our kids to work and how things are done on the farm.
This last time we came up I couldn't help them pack. It was interesting to see how they all did. For sure they didn't bring much! Aaron came in and said I hope someday you pack like Ashley did. What did she pack? Only swimsuits! That was pretty awesome. Dallin may have done the best - An extra shirt, pjs, and his swimsuit. Wyatt remembered socks for changing the wheel lines but forgot his swimsuit (I did assume this and had some extra suits in the car). It makes me smile and realize that I really need to stop doing so much for my kids. While they don't have everything they need, they will get along just fine for 2 and half days.
Being out there I wish I could capture the peace and beauty that I experience. I love the constant sound of sprinklers - It reminds me of Idaho.

2 comments:
I love this post...some great things you could use in your next talk. And there is something about the sound of sprinklers that is peaceful
This is great! We all need a farm to help raise our kids right.
Post a Comment